Rainy Day Activities in Martinsville - Henry County, Virginia
Don't let a little rain spoil your fun! Check out these suggestions for a fun getaway- rain or shine.
1. Visit the Smithsonian Affiliated Virginia Museum of Natural History. More than 11 million specimens and hands-on exhibits await your discovery. Children will enjoy playing in the Discovery Reef while parents relax with a cup of coffee from the Paleo Café and enjoy free WiFi.
2. Explore the galleries at Piedmont Arts. The kids can have a great time creating their own art and music in the Discovery Room. Free WiFi and art library are also available to the public.
3. Learn the art of wine making at Preston Ridge Winery and try a glass at the tasting bar while you're there! The Winery shop stocks a nice selection of wines made on-site as well as kits and supplies to make your own wines or home-brew beers.
4. Watch artisans practice their skills at Studio 107, a working art studio. Wood turning, glass work, painting and beading are just some of the styles you'll see.
5. Explore the shops of Liberty Fair Mall, including Belk, Rack Room Shoes, Maurices, Bath & Body Works and JC's 5 Star Outlet (formerly JC Penney Outlet).
6. Discover the power of water at Philpott Lake, the reservoir's Visitor Center at the top of the dam features an informative display on how the dam was built, how it works and on the wildlife that call Philpott Lake home. You might even catch a Ranger Talk or film in the auditorium.
7. Enjoy bowling at SportLanes.
9. Shop for unique gifts and souvenirs created by local artisans at The Artisan Center. Sign up for a craft class while there! This facility is also home to the Martinsville-Henry County Visitor Center where you can find more information on these and other activities.
Bonus: After the rain stops, take the kids to the innovative playground at the Smith River Sports Complex. The playground's excellent drainage system allows the artificial turf to dry quickly. The place children can play with no muddy puddles!