The Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corporation's (EDC) Tourism & Film Division offers a variety of professional development opportunities designed to enhance new and existing tourism businesses. Check out what we have to offer!
- List Your Venue & Events
- Brochure Distribution & Display Spaces
- Tourism Marketing Grants
- Tourism Industry E-Newsletter
- MHC Tourism Networking Luncheon
- One-on-One Consultations for Tourism Businesses
- Customer Service & Hospitality Training
- Small Business Training Events
List Your Venue & Events
Listing tourism related venues and events on both the state and local tourism websites is easy and free! Virginia.org is used by more than 500,000 visitors per month all with an expressed interest in Virginia travel. These visitors log on from all over Virginia, the US and the world. The system is backed by VTC's multi-million dollar advertising campaign promoting the Virginia.org address and drawing users to the site. All listings are mirrored on VisitMartinsville.com which us used by more than 5,400 visitors per month.
Once you set up an account, simply follow the directions step-by-step to complete the listing. If you have any questions or would like a one-on-one lesson, please contact us at 276.403.5945.
Brochure Distribution and Display Spaces
According to a 2010 international study by the Center for Marketing Technology at Bentley University, brochures are the #1 visitor information source in-market. While the internet is the primary source of information used while planning a trip, 76% of survey respondents, composed of both leisure and business travelers, reported picking up a brochure form a brochure rack during their trip.
Let us help you get the word out!
- Free Local Brochure Distribution Services- Distribution locations include the MHC Visitor Center, Blue Ridge Regional Airport, Memorial Hospital, Smith River Sports Complex, area hotels and businesses. Contact Felicia Rupert to participate at 276.403.5945.
- Free Multi-State Brochure Distribution Services- Through a contract with professional distributors our brochures are available for the public to pick up at more than 140 businesses along I-95 and I-81 in Virginia and also at 71 locations in the New River Valley and Yadkin Valley in Virginia and Kentucky. Participation is limited first-come, first-serve to 10 tourism related businesses each quarter. Contact Felicia Rupert to participate at 276.403.5945.
- Free Display Spaces- Show guests of the MHC Visitor Center what you have to offer. Five display spaces are available to tourism related businesses on a first-come, first-serve basis. Spaces are 24" x 24" and 24" x 48", 24" tall clear acrylic covers are also available for some of the spaces. Displays must be set up by the business and may remain on display for up to two months. Contact Beth Stinnett to participate at 276.632.8006.
The Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corporation's (EDC) Tourism & Film Division is offering a marketing co-op grant designed to assist the local tourism industry with marketing needs. Local tourism related businesses which contribute to the local tax base (Martinsville or Henry County) are encouraged to apply including: Hotels/Inns, B&Bs, Campgrounds, Attractions, Spas, Restaurants/Cafe's, Retail/Outlet Stores and Established Events.
Awards may be up to $1,000 per business; however, no award shall exceed 50% of the total marketing project. A marketing plan will
be required in addition to an application and awardees must use approved local marketing providers.
For more information contact Jennifer Doss, Director of Tourism: 276-403-5949 or email@example.com.
Tourism Industry E-Newsletter
The EDC's Tourism & Film Division publishes two E-Newsletters: a weekly consumer newsletter which is distributed weekly to our mailing list and an industry newsletter which is distributed monthly to area attractions, lodging, restaurants, retail/outlet stores and event planners. The consumer newsletter features top stories and upcoming events for the week. The industry newsletter features valuable information and tips to help market your business. If you are currently not receiving the newsletters and would like to please email FRupert@YesMartinsville.com.
This bi-monthly meeting is a chance for staff from all area attractions, lodging and transportation providers, restaurants and stores to network and learn about upcoming events that will draw visitors to the area. It also offers and opportunity for businesses to enhance their marketing efforts and customer service. Lunch is provided call 276.403.5945 or email FRupert@YesMartinsville.com to register.
One-on-One Consultations for Tourism Businesses
Ever wonder if something more could be done to drive traffic to your business? Do you need assistance in enhancing your curb appeal? Do you know if your website and print media are working for you? Want to learn how to use social media, like Facebook and Twitter, effectively? Interested in co-op and partnership opportunities to maximize your budget? If you answered yes to any of these questions, call us today for a free consultation, 276.403-5949.
Customer Service & Hospitality Training
According to a study by the American Society for Quality and the Quality & Productivity Center, sixty-eight percent of the time your business loses a customer it's because of poor service or an attitude of indifference by the service provider. Don't let your business fall victim to this!
Contact us to arrange a free customer service training session for your staff! 276.403.5949
"Happy customers tell four to five others of their positive experience. Dissatisfied customers tell nine to twelve others- and who knows how many tell on the Internet- how bad it was." -From Exceptional Customer Service by Lisa Ford, David McNair & William Perry.
Small Business Training Events
Our colleagues in the EDC's Small, Minority & Entrepreneurial Division offer a variety of training events that will also enhance your business.
Visit their site for a complete list of courses.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at 276.403.5949 or JDoss@YesMartinsville.com.