20 things you Need to do this September in MHC
Wednesday September 9, 2015
September is here and fall is on the way. Don’t miss out on all the fun that’s scheduled this month. From live theatre and community heritage festivals, to sporting tournaments and live concerts, to lectures and culinary events, there are plenty of ways for you to have fun in record time this September in Martinsville-Henry County, Virginia!
- Enjoy the Doyle & Debbie Show presented by the PHCC Patriot Players at the historic Rives Theatre. This country-music themed show will have you laughing all night long!
- Learn about the universe and our only blue planet during the 2nd Thursday Science Talk at the Smithsonian-affiliated Virginia Museum of Natural History.
- Partake in the annual Bassett Heritage Festival in the historic downtown area of Bassett, VA. Street vendors, parade, kids rides and games, historic displays and more!
- Enjoy the arts and culture of the community as they are showcased during the Martinsville Culture Crawl. Be sure to stop by the MHC Visitor Center during the event; MHC Visitor Center hours for September 18th are 12:00 - 8:00 pm.
- Take a run and have some fun during the Paint the Town 5K. Begin the race a blank canvas and end it as a masterpiece!
- Grab a seat and watch the excitement of the Virginia Fusion 6.0 Ultimate Frisbee Tournament at the Smith River Sports Complex. This tournament is one of the largest ultimate frisbee tournaments in the country.
- Ride the Smith River and unwind afterwards during Wine & Water Wednesday at Hamlet Vineyards. Bring your own kayak or reserve your place on the raft provided by Smith River Outfitters.
- Learn about the past baseball league of Martinsville-Henry County as Roscoe Reynolds presents the "Bi-State League" at the Bassett Historical Center.
- Embrace the preservation efforts of FAHI by attending the Annual Evening of Elegance. Enjoy dinner, music, dancing and a silent auction. Key note speaker will be Dr. Angeline Godwin, President of Patrick Henry Community College.
- Check out Jarekus Singleton in concert at the Rives Theatre. Singleton’s cutting-edge sound –equally rooted in rap, rock and blues traditions– is all his own.
- Celebrate Friday with the next-to-last TGIF concert of the 2015 season featuring Buckshot. A summer tradition for 20 years.
- Stroll through Uptown Martinsville for the Third Friday Art Walk. Enjoy art, music, history, dining and nightlife in Uptown Martinsville.
- Enjoy the annual Spencer Community Fair at the Spencer Penn Centre. Shop crafts and collectibles, and be sure to try the lip smacking Brunswick Stew.
- Treat your pallet at the inaugural Wine by the River Wine Festival at the Smith River Sports Complex. Featured wineries include: Brooks Mill, DeVault, Hamlet Vineyards, Foggy Ridge, Stanburn, West Wind and Preston Ridge.
- Enjoy a performance of Requiem For A Heavyweight presented by TheatreWorks Community Players. Tickets available soon at the Martinsville-Henry County Visitor Center or at http://squ.re/1rKMUXh.
- Satisfy for your hunger during Savory September at Piedmont Arts. Featuring signature dishes whipped up by local cooks.
- Join the Harvest Moon Run 10K presented by Activate MHC. After the run, hang around for Dancing on the Depot, music, food and drinks. For those who would rather cheer on the participants, come out and enjoy the music, food and beverages while you watch the fun. Craft beers on tap.
- Explore the Virginia Museum of Natural History with a free ticket during Smithsonian Museum Day. *
- Attend the Devon Allman Band concert at the Rives Theatre. Devon is the son of Gregg Allman and tickets to this amazing rock/blues show sell out, so grab yours soon.
- Learn about the history of Philpott during NCI’s Non-Credit Lecture Series: Hidden Stories of Philpott Lake & Dam.
Don’t forget to tag your favorite photos with #VisitMartinsville and share your fun times with us!
*Visitors must register on-line, in advance for free Museum Day Live! ticket.
Live at the Rives,
Patrick Henry Community College,
PHCC Patriot Players,
Smith River Outfitters,
Smith River Sports Complex,
Smith River Trail System,
TheatreWorks Community Players,
Virginia Museum of Natural History,