What does the New Year have in store for you? If you are anywhere near Martinsville-Henry County, VA, the answer is FUN! And if you aren’t near MHC, make plans to get here! 2016 will be full of ways for you and your family and friends to have "fun in record time." In fact, here are 16 for ’16.
1. Dino Day at the Virginia Museum of Natural History on January 23rd will feature dinosaur specimens and displays from the collections of the Virginia Museum of Natural History, the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History throughout the museum. Plus, fun dino-themed games, activities and more!
2. Africa Family Day at Piedmont Arts on February 27th. Learn about African culture and art from the ancient land of Mali to modern day. All ages welcome. Fun crafts and snacks provided.
3. Enjoy Live Theatre throughout the year from the PHCC Patriot Players and TheatreWorks Community Players. 2016 shows include: Southern Fried Funeral, TARZAN, Jack’s Guitar, The Color Purple and Mary Poppins.
4. NASCAR rolls back into town for STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway on Sunday, April 3rd. The STP 500 weekend kicks off with Pole Day on Friday, April 1st with the Kroger 250 to follow on Saturday, April 2nd.
5. Get your taste buds ready for the annual Spencer Penn Pig Cookin’on Saturday, April 9th. Pig Cookin' competitors will cook all night and you can enjoy the finger-licking goodness after the judges pick their favorite. The Pig Cookin’ also includes a day full of activities such as the annual craft show, bike ride, demonstrations, music and Civil War and Revolutionary War encampments.
6. The Green Living Market is happening April 15th-17th at the Market Grounds in Ridgeway, VA. The Market is a desirable venue for pickers, antique, vintage and architectural salvage dealers and makers of rescued, restored, re-purposed and up-cycled products to sell their goods in a show type atmosphere. For those who love antiques, vintage items and repurposed goods and projects, this show is for you. Spend your weekend junkin’ and pickin’!
7. Historic Garden Week in Martinsville-Henry County is Wednesday, April 27th. Each spring, Virginia welcomes visitors to over 250 of the state’s most beautiful gardens, homes and historic landmarks during the 8 day, state-wide open house. MHC will be showcased on Wednesday, April 27th with a spotlight on the historic town of Bassett.
8. Explore the Smith River Artisan Trail’s Open Door Tour April 8th-17th and discover the many local artisans that are proud to call Martinsville-Henry County home. There are currently 60 artisans included in the Smith River Artisan Trail, each offering something special to the MHC community. Be sure to "Take Home a Piece of Virginia."
9. The Fieldale Heritage Festivalis Saturday, May 21st in the historic village of Fieldale. This annual festival, which was selected as one of the Top 20 Events in the Southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society, is held to celebrate the history of Fieldale and offers a day full of activities for the entire family. Activities include crafters, demonstrations, music, kids’ games, food vendors, a cruise-in and more.
10. Rooster Walk 8 will rock MHC May 26th-29th at Pop’s Farm in Axton. Musical genres will include funk, rock, bluegrass, country, blues, reggae, jazz, Americana and more. Headliners and performers will be announced soon. In addition to music, there will be food, children activities and arts & crafts.
11. Celebration at Martinsville Speedway will be held on Monday, July 4th. Celebrate Independence Day with the biggest fireworks display in the area, live music and children's rides: all for free admission! More details to be announced soon.
12. The annual Smith River Fest takes place on Saturday, August 13th and will showcase a little bit of everything outdoors including the gorgeous Smith River and all of the other outdoor recreational opportunities in Martinsville-Henry County.
13. Celebrate the history of the town of Bassett on September 10th with the annual Bassett Heritage Festival. Festival highlights include a pancake breakfast, an afternoon parade, kids’ rides, crafts and vendors and a classic car show.
14. The 2nd annual Wine by the River Festival at the Smith River Sports Complex will be held Fall 2016.
15. The OktoberfestInternational Arts and Culture Festival in Martinsville Uptown will be Saturday, October 1st. An annual tradition since 1979, Oktoberfest fills the streets of Uptown Martinsville with entertainment, delicious food and a huge variety of vendors selling arts and crafts, jewelry, accessories, holiday items, home accents and more.
16. The Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500 roars into Martinsville Speedway on October 30 and will keep fans on the edge of their seats. Martinsville Speedway is the only short track in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, and every lap makes an impact on the competing drivers. Tempers soar and rubber flies as the NASCAR season moves to an end and drivers try to tame the Half Mile of Mayhem.
Mark your calendars now for these 16 in ’16 events listed above and be sure to check the VisitMartinsville calendar regularly to stay informed of what’s happening in Martinsville-Henry County and how you can have Fun in Record Time. More fun events are already posted and be sure to follow VisitMartinsville on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.