Holiday Happenings in Martinsville-Henry County
Monday November 25, 2013
Don't let the cold weather keep you and your family from having tons of fun during December!
Throughout December, we invite you to come relax, recharge and reconnect. Martinsville-Henry County, Virginia is home to many family-friendly events that will allow you to reconnect with those that you love. Whether your family wants to truly feel the holiday spirit or are simply looking for a way to enjoy healthy living and an active lifestyle together, Martinsville is the place to be this holiday season!
- Before you head to your Thanksgiving feasts, participate in the Turkey
Day 5K and Family Fun Run. You can enjoy the race, swag, snacks, and awards, all before lunch and start off your holiday with a healthy, fun activity for the entire family.
- On December 6th, you can kick off the holiday season with the entire family when you attend the annual Uptown Christmas Tree Lighting. The event will feature musicians, carols and of course the exciting lighting of the Uptown Christmas tree.
- On December 14th, the Martinsville Speedway is home to two fabulous holiday events in one convenient place! The Girls on the Run of Martinsville-Henry County Winter Celebration 5K (3.1 mile) event is a family friendly run/walk as well as competitive race. Not just for girls, participants gather together with family, friends and community members to celebrate healthy living by completing this 5K course. Stay at Martinsville Speedway after the run for their annual Speedway Toy Drive the same day! You will have the opportunity to ride in a real Sprint Cup car or drive your personal car around the track. Come enjoy a day full of great events at Martinsville Speedway and don't miss out on a chance to eat a Famous Martinsville Hot Dog!
It is a priority during the holiday season to reconnect with friends and family, but sometimes we need to also remember to recharge ourselves during the busy holidays. What better way to recharge than experience a variety of performances and exhibits in Martinsville-Henry County. Escape to another place and time with an exciting local theatre performance or let a great music act's rhythms help you drift away and relax...
- Les Misérables is coming to Martinsville-Henry County! This international, smash-hit sweeps its audience through an epic tale of broken dreams, passion and redemption, against the backdrop of a nation in the grip of revolution. This enthralling story is a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit. Opening the day after Thanksgiving, this show features a cast of over 60 actors.
- "Old News" opens to the public on December 14th at Piedmont Arts and features the work of Johnny Selman. In 2008, Selman designed BBCx365 by creating posters based on the BBC news headlines for an entire year. Selman hoped to compel his audience to look into the article and eventually stir a larger interest in world news with the American public.
- Come out to the Rives Theatre the day after Thanksgiving to hear the retro, 70's-style sounds of Space Capone. With constant touring in the southeast, and collaborations with some of the most influential people in the music industry, Space Capone has developed unique, energizing songs that are sure to get you up out of your seat and dancing. This is a concert you don't want to miss!
- Celebrate the holidays with Piedmont Arts On Stage as the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra and Chorus returns to Martinsville for the annual Holiday Pops Spectacular. This special anniversary production of the symphony's well-loved holiday pops concert will feature timeless classics, new holiday favorites, and Broadway star Joy Lynn Matthews-Jacobs.
- He's been called "a revelation" by Rolling Stone magazine. French-born guitarist/composer Stephane Wrembel is one of the most original guitar voices in contemporary music and he's coming to Martinsville on December 13th. Don't miss the show as he and his band perform live at the Rives Theatre!
- Deeply rooted in Funk, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band has a sound that is unique, yet has the power and soul to create lasting melodies and seismic rhythms. Enjoy your Christmas break in a truly unique way as this is sure to be an awesome show!
Smith River Sports Complex,
TheatreWorks Community Players,
Virginia Museum of Natural History,