Things to Do
Martinsville Speedway Historic Marker
Location: Greensboro Rd., Ridgeway (Martinsville Speedway)
"H. Clay Earles (1913-1999) opened Martinsville Speedway in 1947 with seating for 750. The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) first raced here in 1948. Martinsville Speedway was one of eight tracks to host the inaugural 1949 season of NASCAR's Strictly Stock division, later called Winston Cup and then NEXTEL Cup racing. It is the only original NASCAR track still hosting the highest division as of 2007. It features a short .526-mile track and seats more than 68,000. Earle’s fan-friendly philosophy has endured, and the track draws fans from across the United States."
Department of Historic Resources, 2007 | Primary ID: 4574Learn More.
NO WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBILITY