It's Easy To "Take A Hike" in Martinsville - Henry County, Virginia! The Smith River Trail System is a local network of trails that is part of the larger Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation's Beaches to Bluegrass Trail spanning from the Eastern shore of Virginia to Kentucky. It offers opportunities for hiking, bicycling and geocaching.
Our longest public trail, to date, is the Dick & Willie Passage Rail Trail which connects neighborhoods to opportunities for shopping, dining and entertainment along a 4.5 mile long paved path. Visit our NEW Trail Helper page to see points of interest near the D&W.
Several of the trails also provide educational opportunities for hikers to learn about the history of the railroad, textiles heritage and our rich history of tobacco farming.
- Philpott Lake Fitness Interpretive Trail (1.5 miles)
- Collinsville Jaycee Park (1.25 mile)
- Jack Dalton Park (0.6 mile)
- Rock Ridge Trail at Beaver Creek Reservoir (1.2 miles)
- Patrick Henry Community College Trail Loop (0.75 mile)
- Fieldale Trail (2.4 miles)
Textile Heritage Trail (0.3 mile)
- Dick & Willie Passage (4.5 miles) - Virginia Ave.
- Dick & Willie - Liberty St.
- Uptown Connection Trail (0.8 mile)
- Dick & Willie - Doyle St.
Silverbell Trail (0.25 mile)
- J. Frank Wilson Park (1 mile)
- Dick & Willie - Fishel St.
- Doe Run Park (1.5 miles)
- Spencer-Penn Centre (0.5 mile)
- Smith River Sports Complex (1.3 miles)
- Richard P. Gravely Jr. Nature Preserve (2.5 miles)
Additional Hiking & Biking Options (not shown on map):
View the Interactive Map
Borrow a Bike from The Bike Barn
Have you hiked a trail lately?
Please take our Trail Feedback Survey