Spring Save the Date
Wednesday January 9, 2019
Spring this year will be bringing warmer temperatures, beautiful flowers and tons of happenings to Martinsville-Henry County. Save the date now for these exciting upcoming events!
- VMFA ArtMobile at Piedmont Arts – 3/21-3/23: Piedmont Arts is thrilled to be one of the hosting cities for Virginia Museum of Fine Arts' VMFA on the Road: An Art Mobile for the 21st Century on March 21-23, 2019. The state-the-art mobile museum and education studio's inaugural exhibition will include photography, paintings, printmaking, as well as other mediums!
- STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway – 3/24: The Martinsville Speedway will play host to the STP 500 on Sunday, March 24th, 2019. Don't miss the high octane action as the drivers of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series roll out to take their stab at winning the famous Grandfather Clock trophy and being crowned the champion.
- Martinsville Half Marathon & 5K – 3/30: You're invited to join in the fun in the Martinsville-Henry County Half Marathon & 5K sponsored by VisitMartinsville. Enjoy a challenging course that includes flats and rolling hills as well as trail and street portions. If you're worried about not being physically fit for the challenge or want to build up your stamina, don't try to do it on your own. The Martinsville YMCA offers a 16-week training program to help you prepare. The fee to participate in the training program includes your race registration.
- Spencer-Penn Centre’s Annual Pig Cookin’ – 4/13: 8th Annual Pig Cookin’ Contest will have lots and lots of delicious fresh cooked BBQ with lots of entertainment and attractions. Barbeque will be judged following the rules and guidelines of the North Caroline Pork Association. You can also enjoy over 50 vendors at the annual SPC Craft Fair.
- Earth Day Festival at VMNH – 4/20: With spring heating up, the Virginia Museum of Natural History and Martinsville City Parks and Recreation, along with community partners, are hoping warm weather and sunshine are in store for the annual Earth Day Festival. This annual festival encourages residents to get outside and celebrate our planet with games, crafts, live animals, guided trail hikes, wildlife identification, environmentally friendly balloon animals, and more!
- “Mamma Mia!” from the PHCC Patriot Players – 4/25-4/28 (and 5/2-5/5): ABBA's hits tell the hilarious story of a young woman's search for her birth father. Set on a Greek island in paradise, on the eve of her wedding, a daughter's quest to discover the identity of her father brings three men from her mother's past back to the island they last visited 20 years ago. Over 60 million people worldwide have fallen in love with the characters, the story and the music that make Mamma Mia! Join the Patriot Players for the ultimate feel-good show this spring. Rating: G
- “Moon Over Buffalo” from TheatreWorks Community Players – 5/3-5/5 (and 4/25-4/27): In the madcap comedy tradition of Lend Me a Tenor, the hilarious Moon Over Buffalo centers on George and Charlotte Hay, fading stars of the 1950s. At the moment, they’re playing Private Lives and Cyrano De Bergerac in rep in Buffalo, New York with five actors. On the brink of a disastrous split-up caused by George’s dalliance with a young ingénue, they receive word that they might just have one last shot at stardom: Frank Capra is coming to town to see their matinee, and if he likes what he sees, he might cast them in his movie remake of The Scarlet Pimpernel. Unfortunately for George and Charlotte, everything that could go wrong does go wrong. Come see the hilarity ensue with TheatreWorks Community Players.
- NCBA Mid Atlantic Regional Division I Tournament – 5/10-5/12: The National Club Baseball Association (NCBA) and the Martinsville Mustangs Baseball Team invite baseball fans of all ages to come enjoy the Mid-Atlantic District III Regional Tournament Division I at Hooker Field. Four college club teams will participate in the double-elimination tournament. The first game will be played Friday afternoon and the second game will be later that evening.
- Rooster Walk - Music & Arts Festival – 5/23-5/26: The 11th Annual Rooster Walk (RW11) Music and Arts Festival will be held at the beautiful, 151-acre Pop's Farm (off of Hobson Road in Axton, VA) on May 23-26, 2019. Rooster Walk is very family friendly and was named one of the Top 5 rock festivals in the state of Virginia by the Richmond Times Dispatch (May 2016). Musical genres will include funk, rock, bluegrass, country, blues, reggae, jazz, Americana and more. In addition to music, there will be food, children activities and arts & crafts.
Head over to VisitMartinsville.com for our interactive events calendar to stay up-to-date on the many things to do in Martinsville-Henry County, VA!
PHCC Patriot Players,
TheatreWorks Community Players,
Virginia Museum of Natural History