The Little Post Office
Locality: Martinsville City
207 Starling Avenue
Martinsville, VA 24112
The historic Little Post Office, located at 207 Starling Avenue Martinsville, was built in 1893 as a postal distribution center for the Star Route. Trains delivered mail to the Dick & Willie station, then the mail was taken to the distribution center to be put on carriages for delivery to other locations. In 1917 the distribution center was closed after the success of rural free delivery (RFD). At just 275 square feet, the Little Post Office is the last free standing Star Route Delivery Post Office.
Today the facility and grounds may be rented for weddings, parties and other special events through Piedmont Arts and hosts art exhibits throughout the year.