Spring Break Fun in MHC
Spring is on the way and everyone is ready for a break and ready to have some fun! Take advantage of the numerous low-cost activities and attractions available in Martinsville – Henry County and have big fun for a low cost. MHC offers everything from multiple museums, to an award-winning biking complex, to an exciting pinball arcade and more. Check out a few family-friendly suggestions below.
- Visit the Smithsonian-Affiliated Virginia Museum of Natural History. Children will enjoy the interactive exhibits and playing in the Discovery Reef. Parents can relax with a cup of coffee from the Paleo Café & enjoy free Wi-Fi while watching them play. 276.634.4141.
- The Discovery Room at Piedmont Arts is a place for children to use their creativity. From paint and crayons to musical instruments and puppet shows, every child can find something that sparks their imagination. 276.632.3221.
- Blue Ridge Regional Library offers much more than books! Did you know that you can borrow a fishing pole and gear for FREE at the libraries? The Martinsville Branch is also home to the Family Fun Zone with toys, games and activity stations. 276.403.5430.
- The Spencer-Penn Centre is great for families. Tour the historic facility, visit the children's library, or enjoy camps & classes. See the Stanley Bowles 1927 classroom and school memorabilia on display throughout the building. 276.957.5757.
- Treat your little ones to lunch at Simply Suzanne’s at the Blue Ridge Airport and they may be lucky enough to see a plane or helicopter land on the runway. With a great selection of family friendly sandwiches, salads and entrees, it's lunch and a show! 276.957.1142.
- Experience the Smith River Trail System. The trail system is a network of more than 20 miles of trail offering opportunities for running, hiking and bicycling. 276.632.8006.
- Explore the many area murals and public works of art located throughout MHC including our very own LOVEwork. Discover the full list at visitmartinsville.com/public-art. 276.632.8006.
- The Mountain Laurel Trails biking complex provides 8 miles of award-winning trails on 150 acres. The trails offer varying levels of difficulty for beginners as well as seasoned bikers. 276.340.9144.
- Pack up the family, bring the boat, fishing rods and a picnic lunch and you're all set for a day at Beaver Creek Reservoir. Canoe and equipment rentals available onsite, for a very low cost. 276.656.5179.
- Fish the Smith River for native brown trout and stocked rainbow trout. Eleven public river access points make getting in the river a breeze. Visitors and residents can take advantage of the free Tackle & Pole Loaner program at the Blue Ridge Regional Libraries & Philpott Lake. 276.632.8006.
- Uptown Pinball & Arcade is the home of 5 of the top 10 ranked pinball machines in the world (as ranked by pinside.com's top 100)! Day passes available to play the 160+ machines! 276.224.7139.
- Enjoy the natural beauty of Philpott Lake. The lake covers 3,000 acres with 100 miles of shoreline and offers boating, swimming, camping, picnicking, hiking, biking, hunting, fishing and wildlife observation. Explore the Welcome Center's exhibits on local wildlife. 276.629.2703.
- Martinsville Speedway is NASCAR’s oldest and shortest track. Stop by on weekdays to walk the Half Mile of Mayhem! The Speedway is home to five NASCAR sanctioned races per year, plus the annual July 4th “Celebration” featuring rides, music and fireworks. 276.956.7200.
- Wilson Park offers an 18 Hole 60 Par Disc Golf Course for your enjoyment. Visit the Martinsville Parks & Recreation online for course review and downloadable scorecard. Discs can be rented from the Martinsville City Parks & Recreation office. 276.403.5140.
- Martinsville Grand Prix Go Karts lets you start your engines and see who the best racer in the family is. They offer a basic racing package that includes 15 lap racing with single and double seated karts. Feel the need for more speed? Bullet carts are available. 276.340.9968.
- Hunt for fairy stones, a naturally occurring crystal called staurolite that is formed in the shape of a cross. Learn about the legend of these stones and find some to take home. Multiple locations available, visit www.VisitMartinsville.com/fairystones, 276.632.8006.
- Do your kids love seeing animals? If, so call Infinity Acres Petting Ranch and schedule a guided tour! Camps and workshops are offered throughout the year. You can go alpaca trekking, hold a sugar glider, see giant tortoises and much more! 276.358.2378.
- Stonehaus Farms offers farm tours so visitors can get an up close and personal look at the animals raised there. The one-hour tour features Nigerian dwarf milking goats, llamas, donkeys and more. They also offer classes for children and adults. By appointment. 276.957.4656.
Be sure to go to www.VisitMartinsville.com for more information on these venues and to discover more ways to have fun in Martinsville – Henry County this spring! You can also download our MHC for Kids Guide here!